PublicVR Forum

Online discussions of everything having to do with PublicVR, especially current projects, tech support, educational practice and theory. See http://publicvr.org for basic information and send questions to jeff@publicvr.org
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: SharedUpdater
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:19 pm 

goshen wrote:
My first round of testing with your installer showed that its trapping all the appropriate files and updating the CaveUT.ini file correctly, which is good. However, with the full demo installation, most of the CaveUT variables are duplicated in "CaveUTCursorExample.ini", which override the CaveUT.ini values. This is why the installer functions to change the values for CaveUT did not appear to work. I tested around a little bit more, but kind of held off waiting for the last version of the code. Max posted it the other day at: viewtopic.php?p=229#p229

Updated to the latest files.

goshen wrote:
The installer should mirror changes in CaveUT.ini in this file and any others necessary. it's a bit of a hack, but we really need to get something that works for our initial release. Come to think of it, it makes sense to make the root name of the user's application (in this case "CaveUTCursorExample") a parameter. Do that only if it makes sense.

Slightly confusing but alright. It's a bit of a hack given that the Cursor file is supposed to be saving Unreal units and the CaveUT.ini file isn't. But it works, changes made to CaveUT.ini will transfer over to CaveUTCursorExample.ini. Wasn't this why you had me put in a little warning to the ini modifier telling the users they need to make changes to both files?

Note: Changes made to CaveUT.ini will override any changes the user makes to CaveUTCursorExample.ini in the SharedUpdater editor.

goshen wrote:

Then, please fully test the installer before you send it to me. That means not just writing the appropriate *.ini files, but also test the CaveUT installation that results. Test changing the parameters on clients and server and see the results. Jot down a few notes on what you did, but you do not have to go and get anywhere near the detail that I do.

Test 1 - Ini file changes
All variables from each .ini file were modified and saved. The .ini files show that each variable was modified properly.

Test 2 - Server IP
No changes have been made tot his code but I tested it in any case. Server IP is still written to each client

Test 3 - New shared folder setup
I first created a shared folder without any user rights. SharedUpdater gracefully steps over the problem and dumps a small message about not having access to the System folder of the client machine.

Next I added a new client to SharedUpdater but pointed it an incorrect folder. As above SharedUpdater steps over the problem and posts a small message to the debugging window.

Next I created an empty folder that lacks a 'System' folder. Same results as above.

Lastly I added 2 new clients each pointing to a properly constructed shared folder. All files were pushed and successfully modified by the installer for each client separately.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:58 am 

This is looking really good. Only a few more tweaks needed:

I tested revision 422, the SVN version number on the SharedUpdater folder in \\deep.planetjeff.net\publicvr\CaveUT\Tools

BUGS:
    The installation will not function properly if user.ini and ut2004.ini are already in the System directory. unless you have a better idea, have the installer create a directory in the system folder, "Backup", and move these two files into it. Add verbiage to the warning message telling the user that this will happen if they press "OK".

I know you tested it, but the "Modify Settings" option is not working correctly. Did you upload the correct version? The CaveUT.ini values are getting written in degrees, and not being converted to unreal units. For the CursorExample.ini file, values are initially converted to unreal units, and displayed in the entry field replacing the value in degrees. That pleases the nerd in me, but it should stay in degrees for real users. You'll have to store those degree values somewhere other than the ini files, or better yet recalculate them from the unreal units in the *.ini files. That will cause a very small change in the displayed degrees value, but that's good. The value should reflect the reality of the angles being quantized a little bit. Most importantly, the installer is writing garbage values to the variables in CursorExample.ini

TWEAKS:
    Change the name of "Client List" to "Clients and Server", because you can install the server with shared update, also.

Set the default value for the rotation increment to 0.5 degrees and the offset to 50 unreal units.

Again, please make sure you uploaded the right version. Otherwise, SharedUpdater.exe like somehow be calling the wrong math library on my machine, which seems unlikely. How bulky was static compile of SharedUpdater be? if it's not much larger, that would be a safer way to go.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 pm 

Jeff, which variables in CaveUTCursorExample.ini need to be modified by 182.044. It wasn't clear from the earlier post so I just set them all to be modified during the write. Probably why you're seeing the odd variables.

Oh and above you say "And the offset to 50." Which offset do you mean?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 am 

Alas, we worked hard on this installer, but it has been overtaken by events. Max made CaveUT so easy to configure using the interactive menu that at separate installer is only marginally useful, and not worth the effort. We will keep the code around to use in making small utilities for CaveUT.